elein elein
Sun Jul 16 19:38:01 PDT 2006
These are good comments. I've added them to the outline more or less.

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 03:50:21PM -0400, Steven Singer wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, elein wrote:
>
> Looks good.
>
> A few comments.
>
> Installing
> -A section on getting/installing slony.  Specifically mentioning that it
> isn't included in the core distribution and with links to binaries for the
> more popular distributions that pre-bundled binaries are availble for.

Question: Is slony contained in any distributions?  What is our RPM and debian
status?  Do we have one.  I always go from source.

> Network connectivity:
> -Creating the slony user on all servers
> -This also might be a good time to discuss that database users won't be
> copied by the pg_dump -s nor by slony and that they have to be setup
> manually.

Good point.

> Failover:
> I think the master failover section should have a subsection on automatic
> failover that discuss the issues with having the failover decision left to
> a something like heartbeat and instructions on how to set it up if thats
> how the user decides to go.

I think this would go in part of the main documentation rather than the
tutorial.  I am firmly in the camp of having humans call a failover. No one
has ever convinced me that there is a tool that can asses a random failure,
as distinct from a network blip.  So let's argue elsewhere and keep it simple
in the tutorial.

--elein